Guyana Suriname Basin likely 50 Ma older than existing models suggest, with increased source rock potential and prospectivity, Frogtech Geoscience Study reveals
A new project ready geological interpretation
Covering more than 3,500,000 km2, the South China SEEBASE® (Structurally Enhanced view of Economic BASEment) study is an industry leading cross-border depth-to-basement structural model and the key to unlocking your understanding of regional prospectivity in South China Sea and Gulf of Thailand regions.
The South China Sea SEEBASE® study is the first commercially available, geologically constrained, depth to basement model for the South China Sea and Gulf of Thailand region. Geologically consistent and integrated, this structural study provides new interpretations of:
- Plate tectonic history, including the Proto-South China Sea
- Structural evolution, including regional control on the final stages of hyperextension and mantle exhumation
- The true extent of the Paleotethys suture which forms a significant rheological and thermal boundary
The best foundation for petroleum systems exploration concepts and strategies in the South China Sea
A Comprehensive Regional Interpretation
The South China Sea SEEBASE® Study and GIS provides an integrated geophysical and geological study of basement and basin evolution, including a hand-contoured 3D model of the depth and geometry of the basement surface.
The South China Sea SEEBASE® uses Frogtech Geoscience’s unique ‘bottom-up’ approach that focuses on a detailed and integrated understanding of basement terranes, composition, structure, rheology and tectonic response, and how these elements have influenced basin evolution. This framework is the foundation that underpins the play-based exploration workflows undertaken by many explorers, and is the basis to develop new play concepts that lead to discovery.
Collectively, the study gives explorers foundation knowledge and an important framework to understand the development of petroleum systems elements (reservoir/source/seal).
The South China Sea SEEBASE® study is an innovative, basement-focused analysis of the geologically complex and hydrocarbon-rich South China Sea and Gulf of Thailand regions. The study gives new, cutting-edge insights into the tectonic evolution of the region and key basin systems through time. Important new interpretations include terrane-based plate reconstructions of the Proto-South China Sea and a redefinition of the Paleotethys suture which forms a significant regional rheological and thermal boundary.
The South China Sea SEEBASE® is a hand-contoured, depth-to-basement, structural and tectonic model that gives petroleum explorers a new understanding of early rift depocentres and the impact of shifting sediment provenances through time. The region has a complex history of rifting that has culminated in hyperextension and mantle exhumation. These processes have fundamentally influenced the nature and evolution of associated basin systems. Collectively, the study gives explorers foundation knowledge and an important framework to understand the development of petroleum systems elements (reservoir/source/seal) and processes through time.
Included in the South China Sea SEEBASE product is a comprehensive 130 page digital (print-ready) report and a project-ready ArcGIS data package that includes:
- Basement Geology: Analysis and description of basement terranes including the limit of oceanic crust, assessment of terrane boundaries, and interpretation of basement composition.
- Tectonostratigraphic History: Plate reconstructions (using newly updated basement terranes) and summary of key tectonic events; stratigraphic correlation chart; implications for basin development; interpretation of major basement faults, and fault event / paleogeography maps for key events.
- Depth-to-Basement Model - SEEBASE: 3D geometry and depth of the basement surface highlighting basin depocentres and highs.
- Depth to Moho: 3D geometry and depth of the Moho surface.
- Sediment, Crustal and Basement Thickness, and Beta Factor:
Derivative maps created using the SEEBASE® and Moho models.
- Inferred Basement Heat Flow: Computation of radiogenic heat production and heat flow, integrating basement geology and architecture, as well as timing and intensity of regional tectonothermal events.
- Potential Field Datasets: FROGTECH Geoscience's state-of-the-art geophysical processing and enhancements.
- A comprehensive list of references is included.