A comprehensive regional basement interpretation of the Philippines and northernmost Borneo
The Philippine region reflects changing subduction geometries, intra-arc strike-slip deformation, micro-continental collision and widespread volcanic activity. The Philippines SEEBASE® Structural Study and GIS provides a regional structural and tectonic framework for the evolution of the basement and basin systems. This geologic framework for petroleum systems observations, will help predict the location and timing of source rock deposition, trap type and reservoir and seal quality.
In order to effectively explore continental margins, it is important to understand the geology of those margins and their evolution. The Philippines have undergone a protracted evolution of extension and amalgamation spanning the Early Cretaceous to Recent. Understanding this evolution including the influence of pre-existing basement structures and basement terrane rheology on rift geometry is key to unlocking petroleum prospectivity in this region.
New regional insights that reduce risk and pave the way for new exploration
The study yields valuable new insights into the architecture of both basement and basins:
- The tectonic history from the Paleozoic to Late Mesozoic extension through to ongoing convergence and back-arc extension of more than 50 basement terranes comprise the basement of the Philippines region, with comprehensive mapping and documentation of each terrane.
- Major structure formation and modification and the relationship to basin phases development and uplifted regions.
- Timing and relationship of the initial of new subduction and arc obduction.
- The role of volcanism in masking older crust and tectonic structures
- Revised basin thickness maps with analysis of possible hydrocarbon generative potentia.
comprehensive study deliverables
Included in the Philippines SEEBASE Lite product is a comprehensive digital (print ready) report and a project ready ArcGIS data package covering:
- Basement Geology: A detailed description of up to 50+ basement terranes which include attributes such as age, composition and structure and assessment of terrane boundaries. Documenting the tectonic history from the Paleozoic to Late Mesozoic extension through to ongoing convergence and back-arc extension.
- Plate Reconstruction Models: Fully consistent kinematic models have been defined for two key tectonic events during the Cretaceous and seven in the Cenozoic.
- Tectonostratigraphic History: Associated fault movements are described for four key tectonic events in the Cenozoic and illustrated by fault event/response maps for each basin phase.
- SEEBASE Depth-to-Basement Model: 3D geometry and depth of the basement surface highlighting basin depocentres and highs.
- Depth to Moho: 3D geometry and depth of the Moho surface.
- Maps of Sediment, Crustal and Basement Thickness, and Beta Factor: Derivative maps created using the SEEBASE™ and Moho models.
- Inferred Basement Heat Flow: Computation of radiogenic heat production and heat flow, integrating basement geology and architecture, as well as timing and intensity of regional tectonothermal events.
- Potential Field Datasets: Frogtech Geoscience's state-of-the-art geophysical processing and enhancements.
- Detailed referencing: Comprehensive references included.
Integrated, project ready and insightful
Each SEEBASE study is designed to be project ready. The Philippines SEEBASE Structural Study and GIS is supplied as a fully integrated geophysical and geological study of basement and basin evolution of the Philippines and northernmost Borneo at a regional scale using public domain datasets enhanced using Frogtech Geoscience processing. The SEEBASE. model of the 3D depth and geometry of the basement surface provides a seamless and comprehensive interpretation of crystalline basement for the region. The study provides significant new insights into the distribution of depocentres and the structural and paleogeographic evolution of these depocentres. The study also presents a regional tectonic synthesis and interpretation that includes descriptions of basement terranes, Frogtech Geoscience plate reconstruction models, basement composition, and basement-derived heat flow.
The Philippines SEEBASE Structural Study and GIS study presents a regional tectonic synthesis and interpretation that includes descriptions of 50+ basement terranes, FROGTECH plate reconstruction models and tectonostratigraphic histories for seven key tectonic events covering the Cenozoic. The study is based on public domain potential field datasets, geological maps, plate reconstructions, literature, published cross-sections and wells.
SEEBASE Philippines CORE Benefits
- Start with the best suite of potential fields grids, tectonic reconstructions, depth to basement map and heat flow modelling on which to develop new exploration concepts and strategies.
- Know the limits and depths of basin systems and tectonic drivers for formation.
- Understand what controls trap formation and modification with distribution maps of active faulting and regional uplift areas.
- Identify potential for undiscovered hydrocarbons.
- Reduce risk away from calibration models for basin and thermal modelling - Full coverage models of present-day basement heat production and heat flow calculated from basement composition derived heat production, crustal thickness and tectonothermal history.