A Comprehensive Regional Interpretation
The North Atlantic Regional SEEBASE® Study and GIS is an industry leading depth-to-basement model and geological study, providing an uninterrupted view of basement architecture of the North Sea and the North Atlantic conjugate margins of Norway, Greenland, UK and Ireland.
The SEEBASE (Structurally Enhanced view of Economic BASEment) model “visualises” basement topography by overcoming the challenge of interpreting basement beneath basalt and /or salt on seismic data, and is key to unlocking the economic potential of these regions. New interpretations include:
- Structural evolution and crustal architecture, including the tectono-stratigraphic development of Early Paleozoic basins, and their evolution during late-stage seafloor spreading and magmatism
- Paleogeographic history, including the extent of Paleozoic source and reservoir deposition.
- Geologically-driven basement-derived heat flow, which forecasts present-day heat flow values below the basins.
The best foundation for petroleum systems exploration concepts and strategies
The North Atlantic Regional SEEBASE® study is an innovative, basement-focused analysis of the geologically-complex and highly prospective North Atlantic conjugate margins and North Sea region. The hand-contoured model factors in basement depth and basement composition, and is enhanced by plate reconstruction models, paleogeographic analysis, basement composition and basement heat flow, and a higher resolution depth-to-basement model.
Important new interpretations include terrane-based delineations of the boundaries between Baltica, Avalonia and Laurentia. The basement analyses provide a new understanding of early, buried Paleozoic rift depocentres, and the impact of shifting sediment provenances through time.
The region has a complex history of alternating rifting and compressional deformation that has culminated in seafloor-spreading in the North Atlantic. These processes have fundamentally influenced the location, geometry and evolution of overlying basin systems on the conjugate margins. Collectively, the study gives explorers a regional framework to understand the development of petroleum systems elements.
Project Ready Datasets
Included in the North Atlantic Regional SEEBASE® product is a comprehensive 170 page digital (print-ready) report and a project-ready ArcGIS data package that includes:
- Basement Geology: Analysis and description of basement terranes including the limit of oceanic crust, assessment of terrane boundaries, and interpretation of basement composition.
- Tectonostratigraphic History: Plate reconstructions and summary of key tectonic events; implications for basin development; interpretation of major basement faults, and paleogeographic maps for key events.
- Depth-to-Basement Model - SEEBASE: 3D geometry and depth of the basement surface highlighting basin depocentres and highs.
- Depth to Moho: Geometry and depth of the Moho surface.
- Sediment, Crustal and Basement Thickness, and Beta Factor:
Derivative maps created using the SEEBASE® and Moho models.
- Inferred Basement Heat Flow: Computation of radiogenic heat production and heat flow, integrating basement geology and architecture, as well as timing and intensity of regional tectono-thermal events.
- Potential Field Datasets: FROGTECH Geoscience's state-of-the-art geophysical processing and enhancements.
- A comprehensive list of references is included.